Working alongside your regular routines, and ensuring that support is tailored to your specific requirements, a fully trained carer or support worker offers safe, discreet and professional personal care in the way that’s most comfortable to you.
We believe in the importance of constant service and the same well-known faces, especially when it comes to personal care. Talk to us today to find out more about how we can support you or a loved one with personal care.
What does personal care cover?
Personal care is quite a broad term used to refer to any form of support with a persons personal hygiene and toileting, along with dressing and maintaining your appearance.
A reduction in mobility or ill health can be an obstacle for some elderly people when it comes to their personal health and hygiene. NLG Social and nursing services offer help wherever it is needed. Our care workers provide essential support from getting dressed to going to the bathroom.
Personal care services can cover, but are not limited to:
- Bathing and showering, including bed-baths
- Applying creams and lotion as required
- Dressing and getting ready for bed
- Oral hygiene, brushing teeth
- Support with shaving
- Foot care, particularly if you have diabetes as you need to be extra vigilant with your feet
- Applying make-up, and hair care
- Helping you to the toilet, including using a commode or bedpan
- Changing continence pads, along with cleaning intimate areas
- Support moving position in bed, to stretch and prevent bed sores
- Changing or maintaining a stoma or catheter bag, or another form of clinical (nursing care) intervention.
In getting to know you as a person, a care coordinator will create your bespoke care plan, which will outline your likes and dislikes, the hygiene or beauty products you want to use and what – and who – you feel most comfortable with. Special tasks, such as cutting nails, shaving and foot care for people with diabetes, will always be highlighted in your support plan with special instructions for your carer.
Each of the NLG Socialrs are expertly trained to provide personal care in a way that is discreet and respectful of your own personal boundaries. Each carer undertakes extensive training where they learn the significance of enabling your dignity and independence at all times.
Even though carers are trained to provide all aspects of personal care, there may be some things you would prefer to do for yourself. A good carer will always give you space when you want it and encourage your independence wherever they can.